Here are my comments to item 4(e) on the agenda of the treaty body chairs.
Item 4(e) Briefing on the OHCHR treaty body capacity-building programme
- Measureable statistics – does reporting compliance improve after these programmes are implemented?
- Should include implementation topics in the capacity-building training, including a listing of implementation guidance documents that should be consulted by the state party for each treaty, indexed by topic
- Encourage continuity of personnel on the state party’s treaty body team, new members should join after last review, go through the OHCHR training, and serve through next report’s review
- Capacity building should include how often and how to update common core report
- Encourage establishment of a standing, national reporting and implementation mechanism – identify common success factors
- Encourage official government websites be established by each state party, posting information on the state party’s treaty body compliance
- Encourage consultation with civil society in creating and operating the capacity-building programme; polling the local civil society on its concerns should be part of best practices identified in the capacity building program